Device Manager showing exclamation marks on all cpu i7 cores

After using Acronis to copy Windows 7 x 64 system disk image from an old Dell Core2Duo desktop to a custom modded Gateway/Acer desktop with Intel DQ57TM motherboard and 1st gen Intel Core i7 870 CPU, you see this message in the device manager:

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled.  An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Sure its an old Lynnfield Core i7, a first generation processor from 2009, but's still better than a Core2Duo, it's a poorman's upgrade.

To resolve this problem you need to do: change device installation options to "Never install driver software from windows update" on each core of the CPU, then reboot.

in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers
click on the computer icon, and then right click, then "device installation options"

Before following through the article (for method 2), I disabled automatic driver installation. To do this, I did the following:
1) Opened Devices and Printers.
2) Right-clicked my computer's device icon and clicked on Device Installation Settings.3) I set the option to No Let me choose what to do -> Never install driver software from Windows Update.4) I kept the bottom checkbox checked. 

I then followed method 2 of the article above, and when I went to manually assign a driver to my processors in device manager, I chose "Processor" rather than "Intel Processor". This solved the issue for me. 

Halfway thru the fix



step 1 
Start here


choose processor driver

at finish, repeat for all cores


Many Thanks To

This Tech Tidbit was brought to you by your friends at Eleven Dimensions Computer Technologies.
See our new 11D website at:

Our Partner Websites:

Bare Wire Networks:     http://www.barewirenetworks.com
CTI Solutions:   http://www.cti-solutions.com

Many Thanks to Our Partner companies


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Microsoft Visio 2010 Premium Product Keys

Mercedes Benz Diesel CDI EGR Emulator Circuit Diagrams

Fix: The Diagnostic Service Host service failed to start due to the following error. [ solved, no kidding ]